Friday, September 24, 2010

A Broken Bone kinda day

September 23, 2010 started off a great day. Maddy had dance class that morning, we picked up lunch and headed to the park to meet mom, Bri, Grey and Emme for lunch. It was beautiful out. The kids finished eating and wanted to play. I don't really like the park we were at because the structures are large and I am constantly chasing Brody to make sure he doesn't fall. Literally, two minutes after I told Mom we were leaving, Maddy fell. She tripped off a two foot platform and landed the wrong way on her elbow. Instantly, I knew something was wrong! I raced her to the ER. Mom kept Brody. I called the Dr. on the way. My heart was breaking as my little girl was crying, wincing in pain in the back and I couldn't comfort her. I hit EVERY red light and almost drove through them all. Called Mike. He was in meetings. Kept calling. It was the longest car ride of my life. After the intial waiting, getting called in for vitals, X Rays (which were awful), and diagnosis, they decided she didn't need surgery. Thank goodness. Got it splinted and ready to be casted the next Monday. But then, I wanted to see a pediatric Ortho. We were sent to Dr. Aminian, amazing doctor, and he said there was no question she needed surgery! So our relief was taken back when we realized our little girl had to be put under to have two pins put in her elbow. It was the scariest day of my life when they carried her away. Thank God for the amazing nurses, doctors and staff at CHOC in Orange. They took excellent care of our girl. On October 21st we get to go back and see if it is time for the cast to come off. She was really excited about the purple popsicle after surgery to match her purple cast.

In the ER. Still smiling in pain. That is the medicine on her shirt that she spit out on me and everywhere three times.

Her new bracelets!

Our little patient.

Daddy came from work.


The morning of surgery. Smiling still!

Daddy showing Mad how her arm will be casted. He made her feel so much better since he has had a couple of casts in his life.

All ready in her new gown.

So brave! Maddy, not me. I was a mess on the inside!
And ta da...the purple cast!

No comments: